Premature graying of hair (PGH) is defined as graying of hair before the age of 20 years in Caucasians and before 30 years in African American population. It can severely affect the self-esteem of an individual.
What are the causes of premature greying?
There are many causes of prematurely gray hair, from heredity to environmental factors.
1. Hereditary- Hereditary is one of the major and most common factors responsible for premature gray hair in men, women, boys (and girls), with history there's an increased chance that you'll follow suit. The greying gene grows from birth onward; when it finally shows itself to be true - no remedy can change what has already happened!
2. Low or No Melanin Production- The cells in the hair follicles called melanocytes produce two pigments: pheomelanin and eumelanin. These pigment molecules join together to give humans natural hair color, but with time these are gradually reduced by production from Melanosomes on a cell’s surface- which means that as one lives their appearance can change to gray or white depending on if there's more of it than another type.
3. Stress- Stress is something that can affect anyone at any time. The kind of stress you are going through will determine how your body feels and looks, as well as what kind of moods or behaviors arise in yourself when under this type of discomfort- whether it's emotional, physical or both!
4. Lack of Nutrition and Vitamin Deficiency- Vitamin B-12 is a necessary and essential vitamin that promotes nervous system health, brain function, as well heart muscle development. It also helps create red blood cells! This means we need it because our bodies are made up mostly of water (about 90 percent), proteins like those found in fish or meat along minerals such as potassium which regulates blood pressure.
1. Mix 2 parts of Coconut Oil with 1 part of lemon juice. Apply it on the roots at least thrice a week. Rinse off after 2 hours.
2. Mix 1 cup Henna Powder, 1 Tbsp coffee Powder, 1 Tbsp Amla Powder, 2 Tbsp Curd and 1 Tsp Kattha. Apply it on scalp and rinse off once it dries out.
3. Apply Aloe Vera Gel to the roots of hair. Overtime it will make your hair soft and will turn grey hair black.
2. Nanaji's research papers